10 minutes ago I released ownCloud 1.1
I´m really happy with this release. Not only because we have a lot of new features and bugfixes but also because the ownCloud development team is growing and more and more people are contributing to ownCloud.
I gave several presentation about ownCloud in the last few month and I´m trilled by the positive reactions I get. People really seams to like to idea behind ownCloud.
You can download ownCloud 1.1 now and run you own cloud storage on your own hardware.
So what is ownCloud?
ownCloud is a central place where you can store your files and documents. You don´t have to upload your personal data to central closed services like Google Docs, Dropbox or Ubuntu One. All the data is under your own control.
You can access your files via WebDAV from Linux, Mac and Windows Desktops without a special client because WebDAV support is build into all modern operation systems and distributions. On Linux you can use the KDE KIO-Slaves or mount it via FUSE into your home directory.
If you can´t use WebDAV for example on your smart phone you can use the webinterface to access your files.
The data transfer is encrypted if your web-server supports SSL and ownCloud has no problems with firewalls and proxy servers.
ownCloud support the Open Collaboration Services API so your ownCloud can push notification to your KDE Desktop if something interesting happens, like your storage is full or somebody is accessing a shared file of you.
So what is new in ownCloud 1.1?
- New Plugin system
- User management
- ownCloud can now be installed in a DB shared with other applications since ownCloud tables has a prefix (default is "oc_" but can choose it)
- Experimental PostgreSQL support
- Text viewer with syntax highlighting
- Support for OCS private attribute storage and activity
- Fixes, fixes, fixes...
- Code cleanup
Future plans are:
- Versioning of all files using git as a backend.
- Easy sharing of your files with others.
- Syncing client so you can access your files offline. (work has already started)
We have a nice new plugin system in 1.1 and developers can write add ons for your ownCloud easily.
- A photo gallery plugins. So you can share your photos with others without uploading it to services like Flickr or Picasa.
- Music server. You can listen to your music from every device without copying it around.
- Podcast catcher. A central place to collect your audio and video podcasts and access it via a HTML5 interface or a native media player.
If you want to help with the development or integration with other projects send a message to the ownCloud mailing-list.
You can find more information here: