I want to give you an overview about the stuff thats happening in ownCloud world.
I released the beta 1 one month ago on gitorious and I´m thrilled by the positive response in the mean time.
We already have a small but very active developer community hacking on ownCloud. In the last 4 weeks we implemented this significant improvements:
- Location independent. You can put your ownCloud installation in any directory inside your web-server root and it works.
- SQLite. ownCloud is ported to SQLite to simplify installation. MySQL is still working thanks to our database abstraction layer.
- We have an improved AJAX Web-interface
- We have a first run wizard for the initial configuration.
- Automatic creation of the database tables.
- Work on plugins for music management and pictures galleries has started.
- Improved WebDAV interface for better KDE/Desktop integration.
- Improved documentation
At the moment I´m working on an Open Collaboration Services API for integration into the KDE Social Desktop. You will get notification on your Desktop if something is happening in your cloud storage.
Next on the list is the sharing features so that you can give other users read or write access to specific files or directories.
We got 24 proposal from students who want to work on ownCloud for Googles Summer of Code. This amount of interest is amazing. We can´t approve that many slots of course and KDE will announce the KDE GSoC students in the next few weeks.
Because of that fast progress I updated the roadmap. I think we can launch an very interesting Version 1.0 in early may.
What can you do to help?
We still need help regarding desktop integration. It would be great if KDE could store its settings in the personal ownCloud of the user. So a KDE user has always the same desktop settings on all the devices.
Also integration in digiKam and Amarok would be great to simplify accessing and sharing of photos and music.
You can find more information here:
So what do you think?